The NJSBL is a baseball league in northern Bergen County that emphasizes the teaching of fundamental baseball skills, strategies and good sportsmanship. The NJSBL helps build the foundation of strong morals, competitive nature and character that is needed in today's social environment. We strive to build a winning attitude in all the children who pass through our program. Key to our success is our hands on approach to managing the league. Each individual age group is monitored by a division coordinator. The coordinator is available for questions regarding rules, etc. throughout the season.
The League will be divided up into divisions based on age and talent level. There will be a ten-team limit per division with two divisions in each age group.
- Divisions - based upon need, two conferences will be formed with a limited amount of inter- conference play.
- Conference 1 - talent equivalent to a town travel team.
- Conference 2 - this conference is intended to attract teams that have evolved as “overflow” of the primary town travel teams. This league is considered a developmental league.
- NOTE - There is a possibility of a Club division emerging. If your roster consists of three or more players from out of your town it will be categorized as a Club team.
- Your team should pick the appropriate level based upon the combined skill of your players. There will be a spring season with an 8-9 game schedule, which starts March 25th and runs through May 20th (one game per week on Sunday’s).
- For age groups 8U-10U a division winner shall be named.
- For age groups 11U-14U a tournament will be held to determine league champions.
- The summer season starts June 10th with a 15 game schedule, which runs through July 15th (three games per week for five weeks). Playoffs July 16th through July 23rd.
The age cutoff for the 8U through 11U levels of the NJSBL’s 2016 Season is April 30, 2016. Whatever age a player will be on April 30, 2016 is that player's "league age." A player may "play up" an age level; he cannot "play down" under any circumstances.
All managers or a representative are required to attend bi-weekly meetings during the season. The manager’s meeting on or about March 11th is mandatory, as this meeting will be used to discuss game scheduling for the season.
SCHEDULING AND MAKE-UP GAMES
- Each team will receive a baseline schedule. Teams will have until March 18th to make changes and lock-in their schedules. It is intended that the March 11th manager’s meeting be used to work out the majority of scheduling issues.
- All rainouts must be scheduled within 24 hours.
- If both teams cannot determine a viable date for make-up games, then the league commissioner shall pick a date. If teams do not play on the assigned date, both teams will forfeit the game. The NJSBL goes to extreme lengths to avoid forfeits, which hurt the integrity of the league. Every effort must be made by teams to fulfill their schedules.
UNWILLINGNESS TO PLAY
The League goes to extreme lengths to avoid forfeits; they hurt the integrity of any league. Based upon past experience, when Team A complains that Team B won’t play their scheduled game, Team B usually responds that they offered Team A dates X, Y, and Z and Team A wasn’t able or willing to play on those dates. Every effort must be made to get games in.
NO ALCOHOL OR TOBACCO PRODUCTS
Because this is a youth event, please refrain from using any tobacco or alcohol products. They are not permitted at any of the league sites.
- Any player, coach or spectator ejected from the game for poor sportsmanship will be suspended for a minimum of the next game.
- Suspension length is to be determined by tournament director & crew chief.
- Umpires have complete control of the game and may dismiss any player or coach for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Only coaches are permitted to have a discussion with umpires. Coaches are expected to control their fans.
- Any person using profane language may be ejected from the game.
- The coach’s code of conduct must be signed and returned with the rosters.
DRESS CODE FOR COACHES
Managers and coaches are not required to be in uniform during games. However, we do expect the adults on the field to be dressed appropriately.
Intentionally delaying a game to achieve a victory through the time limit is considered unsportsmanlike conduct and will not be tolerated. The umpires and league officials at the game reserve the right to eject a coach or player for intentionally delaying a game and possibly declare a forfeit to that team.
All final rulings are made by the umpire. An umpire may contact tournament crew chief or league official if necessary.
Players are not allowed to wear jewelry during the games. Exception will be made for jewelry worn for medical reasons. Titanium ropes around the neck or magnet type wristband are permissible.
All players must be in complete uniform, shirts tucked in.
- REGISTRATION FEE - $200 entry fee for spring season and $300 for summer season. If registering for both simultaneously the fee is $450.
- NO REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER FEBRUARY 25TH, 2016.
- Each team is required to carry its own insurance and submit a certificate of insurance to NJSBL prior to the beginning of the season. No team will be allowed to play until we have that information and it is verified.
- THE NJSBL MUST BE NAMED AS ADDITIONALLY INSURED ON EACH CERTIFICATE, AND A CERTIFICATE MUST BE ON FILE FOR EACH REGISTERED TEAM.
COACHES AND PARENTAL CODE OF CONDUCT
The coaches and parental code of conduct must be upheld at all times. The coach’s code of conduct must be reviewed and signed and returned to league commissioner no later than March 11th, 2016. The parental code of conduct is the responsibility of the team’s coach. The coach will acknowledge that all players’ parents understand and agree to the terms. This will be acknowledged through the coach’s code of conduct.
- Coaches shall be Rutgers certified.
- Background checks of coaches shall be the responsible of the town or individual team.
- A website administration code will be given to all managers for access to the website.
- The WINNING team must report the game results to the league web-site within 24 hours. Game highlights with winning pitchers, doubles, triples and homeruns being reported at a minimum. NO VOICE MAILS AND NO TEXT MESSAGES. Scores and standings will be updated as the results come in.
All umpires must be part of a carded association.
Home team is responsible for umpire assignment.
One umpire is required per game for ages 8U-10U.
Two umpires are required per game for ages 11U-14U.
Umpire fees shall be split between teams for each game.
If umpire(s) arrives and game is rained out, they are due a travel fee of $15 each If umpire arrives and game is started, they are due to be paid in full.
The umpire fee shall be no greater than $60 per umpire per game.
Please see the attached for a complete list of umpires approved by the league
The home team will keep the official scorebook.
Make sure to check your online record and confirm the accuracy of the record for your team.
Remember that the standings are determined by points:
3 points for a win.
2 points for a tie.
1 point for a loss.
0 points for a game not played or forfeit.